new xfdesktop screenie

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 15 03:38:10 CET 2004

hi all-
just a quick screenie of my latest work on the xfdesktop menu:
http://kelnos.homelinux.org/xfce4/images/screenshots/xfdesktop-menu-icons-20040314.png
aside from a couple memory leaks, my current gmoduled local tree is back
up to the level of features that current CVS has, with the addition of a
couple more (see screenie for one of them).

just have to fix that pesky app crashing problem.  i can somewhat
isolate the problem to xfdesktop itself, and not any of the menu code.
if i run apps via my new desktop menu panel applet, they don't crash (so
it's not in any of the code in the gmodule, methinks).  at least this
perhaps narrows it down a bit.

JF: a few menueditor-related things...  you can add an icon= attribute
for the <menu> element.  eh, go ahead and add it to <title> as well - i
think it's silly, but it's trivial to add and doesn't really hurt
anything.  the <include type="system"> has a few other options - style=
and unique=.  also, a heads-up - at some point i'm going to go thru and
fix some of the english strings.  also, the menu file parser needs to
ditch libxml2 and use GMarkup.  if you don't really feel like doing
that, let me know and i'll take care of it.  my current tree has parsing
code for menu.xml, so you can probably just rip most of that out and
modify it for your purposes.  i'll be committing it all to CVS after i
fix the memleaks and put out another patch.

thanks,
brian