Resource lookup functions for libxfce4util

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 12 23:09:48 CET 2004

040311 Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>> Can we manage to switch to the Basedir locations for 4.2?
>> E.g. no longer having ~/.xfce4/,
>> but using the standard locations  ~/.config/ and  ~/.local/share/
>> or whatever the user sets in $XDG_{DATA,CONFIG}_HOME.
>> The transition can be done nearly 100% transparently to the user.
> i'd be in favor of this.  it would require each component of xfce
> to first check in the new location, then if nothing's there,
> check in the old location, and then copy if it finds anything.
> a little tedious, but whatever...

</spectate>

as one of those mere users, may i look disturbed ?
i don't like the whole system of dot file/dirs in UNIX, but we're stuck w it
& it seems commonplace for other pgms to create  .kde3.2  .xcdroast  etc.
there is now a  ~/.config , wh seems to have been created by KDE 3.2.0 ,
but almost nothing in it.  as for  $XDG_{DATA,CONFIG}_HOME
-- wh i've never seen before & how many users wd recognise it ? -- ,
'echo $XDG_DATA_HOME' & 'echo $XDG_CONFIG_HOME' come up empty.
perhaps this is part of the new desktop stds, wh XFCE rightly adheres to,
but it wb nice to have a brief explan'n before too much changes.

<spectate>

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca