Desktop settings bug

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 28 23:32:26 CEST 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Don Christensen wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >
> > i'd like to figure out why your brightness control doesn't do anything.
> > though i'm not sure of the best way to debug this, other than sticking a
> > bunch of print statements in xfdesktop.  which i may do, if i have some
> > time later (doubtful, before the weekend anyway).
>
> You must have fixed it in CVS.  I just rebooted my machine and picked
> up the latest versions I had compiled, and the brightness settings now
> work correctly (and actually adjust the brightness).  I was a little
> concerned at first, because all of a sudden my background image got
> blindingly bright.  Turns out the old setting value of 100 was left
> intact, but its meaning is now very different.  After adjusting that
> to near zero on each screen, I am quite happy.

whew, good to hear.  it probably was just some weird interaction based
on me changing the meaning of the internally stored "brightness" setting
without changing the value itself.

> A nice little side benefit is that I can now adjust the images so that
> they are very similar in brightness on my two monitors which I cannot
> seem to adjust to match each other using the monitor controls.

excellent - an unintended use case that makes me think a little more
that it isn't just some frivolous feature that i shouldn't have added
in the first place.

	-brian