Xfce 4.1 alpha release?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jun 24 14:30:25 CEST 2004

Olivier wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I'm not very happy with the current status of Xfce, it takes 45 seconds
> to start on my laptop and that's not really in line with the lightweight
> desktop I've been trying to built. GNOME starts a lot faster although it
> has a lot more features than Xfce. I hardly see why anyone would choose
> the current Xfce over GNOME.
>
> As for developpment; I do all that because I found it fun and
> interesting. Some recent mails threads shows there are some
> "misunderstanding" (to say the least) between some developpers and
> myself. I see less and less fun in doing all this.
>
> So? I just tried to put some energy in this project by proposing an
> alpha release. A year between two versions releases is about to
> discourage any user, not even talking about developpers.
>
> Bahh; never mind. You want to wait more for a release, that's fine with
> me. I don't care after all.

Hey no problem, you're still the boss. I've only tried to explain why this
issue bugs me.

You said you're not happy with the current status of Xfce, I'm neither. Thats
why I'm bugging you with this. I think it doesn't matter when we release 4.2.
I think its more important that we are happy with what we release.

You're right, we kinda lost the direction during the last months and we had
quite different opinions on where we want to go. Xfce starts up too slow,
which is most notably caused by the session manager (esp. the current splash
theme implementation) and the menu parsing code IMHO. But we should keep in
mind that Xfce is not GNOME, we don't get paid for our work on Xfce. We all
have jobs. We spent our freetime developing for Xfce, because its fun. We
cannot keep up with GNOME's release cycles.

It'd be nice if you could explain were you want Xfce to go in the future.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

regards,
Benedikt