Xfce 4.1 alpha release?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Jun 23 23:42:54 CEST 2004

Olivier wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 22:59, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
>>So my suggestion is to schedule the alpha release for end of July/beginning of
>>August 2004. This also leaves the chance to do some more testing on the
>>current components, its not that it would work out of the box on every system
>>currently. Esp. the icon theming stuff needs a lot of work (I've already told
>>brian)!
>

> Well, sounds like it should go in Xfce 4.4 then, because we need even
> more time for translators, testing of other components, etc. Plus, it
> sounds like a quite big change.
>
> I'd like to release Xfce 4.2 not after september (ie no more than a year
> between the two major releases) otherwise we are really loosing
> momentum.
>
> I also plan to branch 4.2 earlier, as soon as possible (ie once we
> switch to feature freeze mode for 4.2).

The problem is that we put a lot of work in multiscreen support and if we now
decide to release w/ the current mcs-manager it wasn't worth the effort and
atleast I would not feel comfortable with the 4.2 release. We should really
not release 4.2 like this. Come on Olivier, its really worth to delay the
release date for one month. We get a better 4.2 for just one month.

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/
pkgsrc "Work in progress":                  http://pkgsrc-wip.sf.net/