Semi-OT: Getting back into programming

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Thu Jun 10 20:54:22 CEST 2004

-- Ondrej Mihalyi <mihalyi at matfyz.cz> wrote
(on Thursday, 10 June 2004, 03:07 PM +0200):
> The only problem I had was how to work with multiple open files
> without having bunch of windows open.  I'm now using buffers and
> switching among them using detached buffers menu (I finally found use
> for the option of detaching menu items in GTK).  The only thing that
> bothers me is the necessity of saving work on a file before swithcing
> to another file and I didnt have time to play with that - any simple
> idea is welcome.

I usually do the following:

    :set hidden

This is somewhat dangerous; it's possible to quit vim without saving
unsaved bufers (if you use :q!), so I've had to train myself to never
use :q! when quitting. However, the benefit is immediate: you can switch
back and forth between buffers without saving, which is often a boon
when editing files that affect each other.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/