Semi-OT: Getting back into programming

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Thu Jun 10 05:28:30 CEST 2004

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:42:08 -0400
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> 	Ok, as much as I hate C, I have made the decision to try and get
> 	back
> into doing programming again.  It's been 10 years since I was a "real"
> programmer, and that was COBOL on MVS (the first person to laugh get a
> smack up side the head!)  I have gotten some very good books on C

hehehehe! *ouch*.

> programming and found a few web sites with tutorials and such,
> including the GTK one.  My question now is what tool/IDE/environment
> to use.  I currently have Code Crusader, CodeForge, Anjuta and, of
> course, the vim/nedit with-lots-of-xterms IDE.  I also have Borland
> C++ Builder X and KDevelop but they seem more for C++ than C, though
> I'm sure I could do C with them.  The problem with the IDE's, other
> than the vim/nedit option, is the steep learning curve they all have.
> It's almost as much to learn the IDE as it is the language.
>
> 	I would like to ask what others are using.  What is the
> 	preferred
> method or tools of development being used by you guys?  I sm leaning
> towards either Anjuta or the vim/nedit method but am not against using
> something else.  It would be good to be as compatible as possible with
> you guys.  I'm not against taking a few months to learn an IDE but I'd
> rather learn one than all of them.

Well, I find it difficult to use any editor other than vim, so I'm part
of the vim/xterm crowd. With vim's Project plugin, I find I don't really
need anything else.

OTOH, Naba (the project lead of Anjuta) is a friend of mine so I tend to
recommend that when I'm asked about IDEs. It's somewhat tilted towards
GNOME development, but it's written in GTK and is fairly fast, so I'd
say that you could use that.

You could also try out eclipse. Red Hat has a gcj native-code build that
is much faster than the eclipse.org java stuff.

hth,

-- b