GThread usage in the panel

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sat Jul 24 10:25:15 CEST 2004

Hey all, especially plugin writers,

Yesterday, I committed a patch from Brian that adds thread
initialization and locking to the panel.

I had hoped that this would not affect anything that wasn't using
threads, but it seems this is not the case: idle or timeout functions
need to use gdk_thread_enter (); ...; gdk_thread_leave(); to make sure
there is no conflict with other threads accessing gtk.

Since there are currently no plugins using threads, this problem won't
show up yet, but it will when e.g. the menu plugin starts using threads.

If you implement this you can depend on the panel version 4.1.7.

Brian, is there anything else to take care of that I missed?

	Jasper