compile problems with xfrun

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 22 18:20:02 CEST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> > so by that you mean you'll email the list and go ahead and do it anyway
> > before anyone has a chance to respond?
> >

> That statement was mine ;-) It seemed like something that should be
> discussed to me.

whoops, guess i got confused in the quoting.  my apologies.

> > furthermore, i don't see why xfheaders is necessary.  why can't
> > xfce4-modules simply install its own header files?  i may be
> > misunderstanding exactly what you're trying to do here, but i'm sure
> > there's a less confusing way of doing this that avoids adding another
> > module.
>
> The issue I raised is that xfrun depends optionally on xfce4-modules.
> For that purpose it used to have a private copy of a xfce4-modules
> header files. Edscott changed that, effectively making xfce-utils depend
> on xfce4-modules during build.
>
> xfheaders is not a general headers package, but only for xfce4-modules.
> Therefore it should be called xfce4-modules-headers, if anything. I
> still don't like the idea of extra modules for this though.

i still maintain that the proper way of doing this is to create a stub
library in xfce-utils that knows how to talk to and load xfce4-modules
if they're present.  sure, that means a little extra work if the header
for one of the modules changes, but you'd have to mess with xfce-utils
anyway if that happened.

if anyone wants to look at a sample of how it's done, check out
xfce4/xfdesktop/common/desktop-menu-stub.[ch].  requiring a new headers
module is IMO a kludge and incorrect.

	-brian