Bug #257... what do we do ?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 21 08:59:21 CEST 2004

all right... then here's my suggestion on how to proceed.  we'll have
two main directories that we care about:  ~/.config/xfce4/ and
~/.cache/xfce4/.  the bulk of data from ~/xfce4 will move to
~/.config/xfce4, but they need to be organised better.  the only _files_
that should be in the toplevel directory should be Xft.xrdb and
xinitrc.  if there are other global xfce4 files, those too.  everything
else should be in an app-specific directory.  personally, i'd like to
see the app-specific config files be renamed to
settings.{xml,rc,whatever} to be consistent.  i'd suggest that panel
plugin config files go in ~/.config/xfce4/xfce4-panel/plugins/  (they
can create subdirs for themselves if they have more than one config
file, or just use (plugin_name).{xml,rc,whatever}.  the one exception to
this is the MCS manager.  so, i'd like something like this:

~/.config/xfce4/
|- xfce4-panel/
|  |- settings.xml (old xfce4rc)
|  `- plugins/
|     |- weather.xml
|     `- notes.xml
|- xfdesktop/
|  |- menu.xml
|  `- backdrops.list
|- xfce-mcs-manager/
   |- backdrop.xml
   |- display.xml
   |- gtk.xml
   `- xfwm4.xml

and so on.  my first reaction is that this is overdoing it, and there
are way too many directories, but i think this is more consistent with
the XDG spec, and just more organised in the end.

as for ~/.cache/xfce4/, it should be organised the same way.  the
session data is already there, the xfdesktop menu cache is already there
(unfortunately, there's no way of making the xfdesktop cache file and
the panel plugin cache file go to a different location).  the xffm
history files and such should go there as well.  comments?

after all the locations are worked out and implemented, i'll work up a
script to migrate old settings, and xfce4-session can run it and then
touch ~/.config/xfce4-session/config_migrated or something, and never do
it again.

    -brian