Bug #257... what do we do ?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 19 22:52:18 CEST 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Olivier wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 14:59, Jean-François Wauthy wrote:
>
> > Olivier, what do you think we should do ? as our boss ;) the final
> > decision is yours
>
> My main concern is definitely the migration process of user data. I
> think it's a bit overhead, and that brings virtually nothing to the
> table.

hi olivier,

i don't mean to be pushy, but you really haven't given a definitive
"yes" or "no" answer.  i think this is an important issue, and i'd like
to see it closed, whether the decision is to change or not.

i agree that user data migration is a problem, and needs to be handled
delicately.  however, i don't think the changes are so radical that this
can't be solved with a shell script, one that i'd be perfectly willing
to write.  the problem is, of course, if xfce 4.2 is installed via
packages, how to make sure each home directory gets the treatment
without damaging anything.  i think this may be more of a packaging
problem than anything, and as such i'm not too worried about it (most
distro packagers that know their packaging system are rather clever with
regards to it).

at first glance, it's not really easy to see how this is an improvement,
since very few apps support this standard.  and that's the problem with
being an early adopter of a standard: it's pointless if no one else uses
it.  however, i think this is a step in the right direction in creating
a more orderly and organised user environment, and i would be very
pleased if this standard gets widespread adoption.  what better to get
the ball rolling than xfce?

so what'll it be?  shall we make the change, or resolve the bug
"wontfix"?

	-brian