new icon theme implementation?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Jul 18 10:06:57 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> hi all-
>
> as benedkit and jasper will probably agree, GtkIconTheme is somewhat
> deficient in some areas and doesn't really meet our needs.

;-)

> here's my
> list of problems:
>
> 1) no gtk 2.2 implementation, and my current icon finder for 2.2 royally
> sucks and needs to be rewritten anyway.

I don't think this is a big problem. Most people will have upgraded to 2.4.

> 2) doesn't support XDG dirs standard (benny patched libgui for this, but
> still...)

More a developer problem than a user one, isn't it?

> 3) when you have multiple icon search paths, the "Inherits" property of
> index.theme files is buggy and weird, and probably won't be fixed until
> gtk 2.4.5 or later.

:/

> 4) there is no way to specify fallback icons if the one you're looking
> for doesn't exist, or if you want to try several different names for a
> category-type lookup.

Like what I do with the panel, right? It does seem to be possible (even
though it doesn't always seem to work ...).

> although i really don't want to write a new icon theme parser/searcher,
> i'm convinced that it's necessary.  what do the rest of you think?  i've
> come up with a possible API, and i'd like comments on that:
> http://spuriousinterrupt.org/xfce4/files/xfce-icontheme.h.html

I'll go and read it and get back to you later. I really hate seeing us
implementing things that are already in gtk. There may be no way around
it though ...

> also, i'd like to add somehing to the UI settings plugin for gtk 2.2 - i
> want it to register a GtkSettings property called gtk-icon-theme-name
> (gtk 2.4 has it, but 2.2 doesn't), and i want it to update this property
> every time the icon theme is changed (gtk 2.4 does this automatically,
> 2.2 doesn't).  this will allow me to remove the nasty
> xfce_set_icon_theme_name() hack i'm currently using (and probably
> doesn't work anyway).

If that works we definitely should do it.

	Jasper