Building XFCE on Cygwin

Maarten Boekhold boekhold at emirates.net.ae
Tue Jul 13 18:07:29 CEST 2004

Hi all,

OK, partial success. If I add G_MODULE_EXPORT and G_MODULE_IMPORT in
appropriate places, #include <gmodule.h> in plugin.c and hack libtool to
include 'plugin.def' when linking, things compile and execute correctly.

So, there's a few things to decide:
(1) Can we add G_MODULE_{EXPORT|IMPORT} to all relevant functions
(2) How do we pass the .def file through libtool to the linker
(3) How do we handle maintaining this .def file

The .def file is specific to the executable that *loads* the module,
i.e. mcs-manager and panel. So ideally the .def files are a part of
those two directory trees. But in this way you create a dependency
between the plugin sources and mcs-manager/panel sources, which is not
good. And it wouldn't work at all with 3rd party plugins. Another option
is to install the .def files somewhere (${prefix}/share?), and modify
the plugin Makefile.am's so that they read the .def files from there.
Which brings us back to issue (2)...

Any suggestions/comments?

Maarten