xfmusic4 alpha release

Wade Nelson hollywoodb at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 12 17:50:45 CEST 2004

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Biju Chacko wrote:
>
>> I don't mind it in CVS, but I don't think it should go into the xfce4
>> distro. I think a new xfce4-applications project is needed, containing
>> this, xfcalendar and xfce4-goodies and whatever else comes along.
>>
>> IMHO, adding this to xfce4 would stretch the meaning of "lightweight
>> desktop" just a bit too far.
>

> You read my thoughts. I think it should go into xfce-goodies, cause its
> really more of a goodie than a core desktop component.
>
>> -- b
>

> Benedikt

Personally, I'd like to see xfmusic4 (looks nice btw) as well as
xfcalendar, xfce4-appfinder, xfce4-mixer, xfce4-toys, and perhaps
*-themes/*-icons go into xfce-goodies rather than core. (I'm not quite
sure how to handle theme & icon sets).  IMHO these aren't necessary core
components, and perhaps more of a burden than blessing for someone who
wants a true lightweight xfce4 desktop but is newish to linux in general.

Xfce4-applications sounds like a good idea, but I would hope the
xfce4-<morestuff> doesn't get taken too far. With xfce4-applications,
xfce4-games, xfce4-multimedia, etc etc, xfce could end up about as
lightweight as Gnome. (Keeping in mind that these are optional, keeping
in mind there's little control over distro devs on issues like these,
and also keeping in mind that more options can mean more confusion for
some users.)

Just my 2 pence :)

--Wade