panel dock type broken

LiNuCe linuce at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jul 9 14:20:25 CEST 2004

Hello,

    If I could give my opinion, I would prefer the second option. Why ?
The current XFCE CVS code set a margin in order to make the panel not
covered by other windows when they are maximized. The fact is that
800x600 user (like me) that use the panel and the taskbar at this
resolution have less space for windows.

    To solve this, I set a 1px top margin (my panel is at top of my
screen) and let the panel be a "normal windows". When I need it and a
maximized windows cover it, I just have to click on top of my screen to
make it appears (because of 1px margin).

    Well, I know what you are going to tell me : "use panel's auto-hide
option". Yes, that's right, I could do that. But when the panel
auto-hide itself, there is 3px border (HIDDEN_SIZE value) that overlap
maximized windows, and window theme using 16px title bar get covered by
a 3px bar : with 16px title bar, this is very ugly an 800x600. So, I
could use auto-hide if there is a way to set the panel "height" when it
auto-hides itself and, in fact, before packaging the panel for myself, I
change the HIDDEN_SIZE in panel.c. Moreover, when there is no window or
when all windows are minimized on the current workspace, it's annoying
to have to unhide the panel to launch something : it would be great if
it unhide itsel in that particular case.

    Voila, it was my 2 euro cents :)

    P.S. : tell me if this kind of message is not used to be sent to
this list, sometimes I feel guilty to post such message here.

--
LiNuCe