How often to check out CVS?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 7 16:53:25 CEST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Wade Nelson wrote:

> Hi, I just started using xfce4-cvs after being an xfce4 fan...
> I love some of the features on the way in CVS, but I was
> wondering, how often should I redownload the CVS tree? is
> there a limit so that the servers aren't under excessive
> load, or am I free to redownload & recompile full CVS
> several times a day? :)

several times a day would likely be a waste of time (and bandwidth).
unless you're tracking a bug that's being fixed, even once every other
day is probably a bit much.  if you'd like to know exactly what gets
updated and how often, join the xfce-commits list.  noteworthy changes
are usually discussed or mentioned on this list (xfce4-dev), so that's
another way to get an idea of when you might want to update.
regardless, you never need to "redownload" the full tree - running 'cvs
update' will make sure you stay synchronised.

	-brian