xfdesktop menu drag and drop?

Josh Howard jrh at zeppelin.net
Mon Jul 5 11:17:22 CEST 2004

"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> writes:

> huh?  the first obvious one is the windows start menu.  IIRC, the kde
> menu and gnome menu supports DnD as well.

Start menu and right clicking on the desktop are two very different
things. I consider the start menu much more akin to the panel.
MacOS (X), OS/2, Windows, BeOS, come to mind as ones where this is
also true. I'm pretty sure the last time I used QNX, I didn't notice
this feature.
I don't know enough about KDE to say whether or not it does this, but
firing up nautilus while writing this e-mail shows that it does not
allow dragging.

> DnD for menus is a little different.  if you are the type of person who
> presses the button, moves it around on the menu, and then releases it,
> you'll never notice that the menu supports DnD.  to activate the DnD,
> you have to click-release, then move the mouse to the item, then click
> again, and drag.  that sounds pretty normal to me.

Right... but I'm not. I've had it misfire quite often. It's not a
major irritation, but it goes against what I expect desktop menus to
do. If it were another mouse button, aside from the primary mouse
button (left for right handed users, I suppose.) I wouldn't have it
dragging all the time and making me wonder why my xterm is taking so
long to load, when in fact it was because I just accidentally dragged
it instead of clicking properly. I guess I'm sloppy with my use of
the mouse, but all of the UIs I'm used to have been forgiving of this.

> there's certainly a precedent for this, and it doesn't change the normal
> menu behaviour unless you mouse somewhat ineptly.  (hmm, can you use
> 'mouse' as a verb...?)

Well, I guess I'm inept at mouse usage. Be that as it may, most menus
in UIs are happy with this.

--
Josh Howard <jrh at zeppelin.net>