xfdesktop menu drag and drop?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 5 09:24:26 CEST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Josh Howard wrote:

> Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> writes:
>
> > It might be nice to add a button to start the appfinder; that would
> > make it more obvious. But perhaps that would give too much clutter in
> > the dialog. I agree DND from the menu is entirely non-obvious ;)
>
> I can't really think of any major GUIs out there where the menu is
> drag and drop...

huh?  the first obvious one is the windows start menu.  IIRC, the kde
menu and gnome menu supports DnD as well.

> it seems on the surface like a nifty feature, but is
> it practical or something that the user expects to happen? I think
> most UIs support holding down the mouse button on an item and the
> thing launching when you release the button. In this case, what I get
> is a draggable object which doesn't fit in with the usual expectation
> of menus when 'changing your mind'; I think the usual is that you then
> can just keep moving while the mouse button is pressed and choose
> something else.

DnD for menus is a little different.  if you are the type of person who
presses the button, moves it around on the menu, and then releases it,
you'll never notice that the menu supports DnD.  to activate the DnD,
you have to click-release, then move the mouse to the item, then click
again, and drag.  that sounds pretty normal to me.

there's certainly a precedent for this, and it doesn't change the normal
menu behaviour unless you mouse somewhat ineptly.  (hmm, can you use
'mouse' as a verb...?)

	-brian