[Xfce4-commits] CVS: xfce4/xffm/glade

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Tue Jan 20 06:26:40 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 12:42, Francois Le Clainche wrote:
> > 3- easy rename feature by making name cell editable
>
> Xffm CVS:
>
> The name of an already selected dir becomes editable after a single
> click excepted if I click on the icon.

Yeah, that's the way treeviews are meant to work in gtk.

> ".." look like they are editable even if they can not be renamed.

It could be renamed in the treeview display, without affecting
filesystem, of course. Which would constitute a perfectly useless
feature... Ideally, stuff like ".." should not be editable. But the only
way to do that is to have our own cellrenderer with its own callback. I
looked at the code necessary to have our own cellrenderer (copied from
cellrenderertext) but at current gtk state that is not possible without
using deeply private gtk stuff :-(

Maybe in gtk 2.4 it will be possible to implement our own cellrenderer
"legitimately".

> Hm... I don't like that feature :D

Well, it's unstable code, meaning: things change. I don't like the name
put into edit mode all the time either, but I do like the easy way to
rename (mixed feelings). I've just set the left treeview so that the
rename feature is not available in this pane (which only displays names)
and  active on the right pane where there are more columns. And also you
can edit the owner and group and mode of a file, just like the rename
function. Pretty handy, especially since it can use sudo.

> Just my 2 cts ;)

Let's see how the new features evolve, and if the usefulness of the
"easy-change" prove valuable. I'm open to suggestions for making
improvements, and if all else fails, a "disable easy editing" is also
quite simple.

regards