[XFCE 0000077]: text curser blinks while moving

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Sat Jan 17 04:27:08 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 20:52, Jesse Wagner wrote:
> Well then can you explain why every other gtk2 app I've seen is able to
> blink fast enough for me not to notice? XFCE4's moving blink rate seems
> to be tied to it's sitting blink rate. Can't that be fixed?

Of course I can explain. The annoying blink --while moving-- does not
occur in combo or entries in xffm that do not have key completion. When
you have the combo-module for key completion, a much more complete
autocompletion is done that in "every other gtk2 app". That takes time.
Barely noticeable, except for a cursor blink now and then.
The blink also occurs in other apps. Take gvim. It happens too. Not as
noticeable as in the xfce4 combo, but I can notice the blink. Probably
due to the syntax highlighting stuff...

It should be very easy to fix. Just turn off the cursor blink mode while
the key event is being processed and turn it back on again later. Or
leave it off. Or change the cursor to something invisible and then
visible again.

So why won't it be fixed? Because there is no way to turn off the
cursor. Shucks, you can't even change the cursor shape to a clock or
(God forbid) something invisible.

Yes, it is a gtk bug. But if I report it as a bug I'll probably just get
hollered again by Owen, "not in gtk, not a legitimate bla bla bla..."
(see gtk-list archives).

Of course, there is the great possibility that I am wrong. But I can go
no further than the limit of my knowledge. If anybody knows how to fix
the bug, speak now. If nobody knows how to fix the bug, then the bug
cannot be fixed (tautology).

Sorry. I know it's a bummer when a bug can't be fixed.