xfce4-session troubles with conf ?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Jan 10 19:52:14 CET 2004

iSteve wrote:
> Umm, I've noticed some very odd thing with the xfce4-session ...
>
> ... when I have some xterms, xchat, xmms, licq and firebird ...
>  - it won't run firebird (I suppose coz the binary listed in process
> list isn't the one that is in fact executed by user)

Mozilla isn't session management aware (neither X11R6 nor X11R5 sm support).
 From what I know Firebird follows that tradition.

>  - It will place xmms on the actual desktop, not the one where it was
> before (probably coz it doesn't have window decorations ? but I can move
> the xmms thru graphical pager)

Thats a bug in xmms.

>  - Won't run licq (imho same reason as firebird)

Don't know about licq. Does it appear in the "session control" list?

>  - And most important, sometimes it 'forgets' to run some xterm, while
> the xterm itself is in the xml conf ... However, when xfce4-session
> stops running all the programs, when I run xterm, it moves to the exact
> position as it should be (and as it was in the conf), not on
> actualdesktop/topleft ...

(What xml conf?) I guess you are running Linux? Somebody reported similar
weird behaviour with xterm from XFree86 4.3 on Linux. Is that your current
configuration?

> I suppose either somehow make it not 'forget';) or clear up the xml conf
> after it is done running the applications ?

This should be caused by the window manager remembering the applications
window state on logout and restoring it on login.

regards,
Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/