.desktop files for settings panels

Tuukka Mäkinen tukem at iki.fi
Thu Feb 26 08:34:24 CET 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Xfce4 Backdrop Settings
> Comment=Settings for the Xfce 4 Backdrop
> Exec=xfce-setting-show backdrop
> Icon=xfce4-backdrop.png
> Terminal=false
> Type=Application
> Categories=X-XFCE;Settings;DesktopSettings;
> OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
>
> questions:
> 1) what do we think about my naming conventions?

Seems good to me. Of course we good provide xfce_settings.directory file
and in that say something like:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Directory
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xfce4 Settings
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
Icon=xfce-settings.png

And then in system level menu xml. This uses freedesktop menu
specification so it's not directly usable.
<Menu>
    <Name>XFce Settings</Name>
    <AppDir>applications</AppDir>
    <DirectoryDir>applications</DirectoryDir>
    <Directory>xfce_settings</Directory>
    <Include>
         <And>
            <Categories>X-XFCE</Categories>
            <Categories>Settings</Categories>
         </And>
     </Include>
</Menu>

What I'm going after is that instead of each entry having text "XFce4"
we should just say "XFce4 Settings" on the menu name.

> 2) should "Gtk;" also be listed in the "Categories" string?

I can't see any need but that's just me...

> 3) capitalisation and spacing: Xfce4? Xfce 4? xfce4?  xfce 4?  etc.

www.xfce.org seems to use XFce, so would it be "XFce4" or "XFce 4" then.
If it's in the menu on it's own "XFce 4" would be my choise but
otherwise "XFce4 Program_name".

-Tuukka