panel pager question

Rob Deker deker at slackdot.org
Tue Feb 3 22:39:29 CET 2004

I'm just checking out XFCE for the first time and quite like it, save
for one trivial thing. The panel pager and desktop switcher don't have
an option to display desktops in a grid rather than a ribbon fashion. I
took a quick look at pager.c and found the following at line 107:

  netk_pager_set_n_rows (NETK_PAGER (pager), 1);

Lo and behold, changing the 1 to a 2 gives me exactly what I'm looking
for. It would be ideal (for me at least) to have this be a runtime
option, as well as to have defineable hotkeys for "Move one desktop
down/up/left/right" and all be configurable in the standard XFCE way.

So, my questions are these:

 - Can somebody point me at any developer documentation so that I can
   try and figure out how to do this?

 - Could somebody who knows the overall picture of the XFCE codebase has
   a little free time be talked into implementing this?

Thanks for your time and any info,

-d