libxfcegui4 version to try

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Feb 3 10:39:20 CET 2004

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:59:52AM +0100, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>>>The "XFce" version is a bit difficult to define, since it refers to a
>>>release of all packages. That's why I put it in xfce-utils. As I said
>>>before, I'd like to see that renamed to xfce4-common with the optional
>>>stuff removed (taskbar), so that an XFce system will depend on it, even
>>>if the separate components don't necessarily need it.
>>
>>This seems unnecessary to me, since we already have a package on which
>>everything else depends, and thats libxfce4util.
>
> Well, that's the difficulty with the overall version number. I think if
> you have, for instance, only xfwm4 installed, you don't have an XFce
> installation and therefore no XFce version number. That's why I put the
> overall version number in the common desktop package. It's unlikely
> people will install that separately without other XFce components.

But if someone installs xfwm4 of its own, he has to install atleast
libxfce4util, libxfce4mcs, libxfcegui4 and xfce-mcs-manager, so he has the
basic parts of the desktop installed and therefore has a XFce version :-)

> I agree it may not be the prettiest solution and I'm not strongly
> opposed to putting the version in libxfce4util either.

I attached a simple patch which adds xfce_version_string() to libxfce4util.

> 	Jasper

regards,
Benedikt

--