[REQUEST] Minimize Windows into Desktop Icons

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Mon Feb 2 18:34:32 CET 2004

-- Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote
(on Monday, 02 February 2004, 12:19 PM -0500):
> On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 11:57, Matthew Weier OPhinney wrote:
>
> > Because I use ROX, and have for years now, it seems to me that xfdesktop
> > is redundant and unnecessary. I realize that the XFCE team wants a
> > "complete desktop solution", but I wonder if some of the goals could be
> > better realized by cooperating with other projects, such as ROX, in
> > order to achieve the functionality desired.
>
> 	Is there a way to run the pinboard w/o running rox?  IOW, can it be
> uncoupled?  While rox is a fine file manager (and more) I don't have a
> use for it (haven't found anything that beats "xterm -e mc" for my
> needs).

I don't believe they can be uncoupled; however, you can invoke the
pinboard without invoking an actual filer window (using the '-p
PinboardName' switch). I show ROX taking up less memory on my system
than mutt, so memory shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not sure if you can create icons (not minimized windows) without
dragging items from a Filer window; however, I haven't tried it. I
suspect you might be able to, as long as the application simply gives a
file url as the drag-and-drop data -- I know ROX interacts fairly well
with XFCE's panel and with XFFM (at least it did when I last used them a
few months back).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/