[REQUEST] Minimize Windows into Desktop Icons

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Mon Feb 2 13:59:10 CET 2004

-- Marek Turnovec <mat.konference at medik.cz> wrote
(on Sunday, 01 February 2004, 04:10 PM +0100):
> >> I'm sure people have requested this before, but I wanted to let my
> >> desire be known.  Xfce3 (and CDE) allow me to minimize windows
> >> into desktop icons that can be dragged around and arranged by the
> >> user.  This was a really nice feature.  I recently did an email
> >> survey within my company and found that about 70% of the engineers
> >> here prefer desktop icons vs. using a taskbar.
> >>
> >> Currently, there are a lot of companies moving from the Solaris/CDE
> >> world into Linux because of the low cost and high CPU performance.
> >> Please take these users into account (they are a large group).
> >> Is this a feature that the designers would consider re-introducing
> >> into Xfce 4 (or 5)?
>
> > IIRC, this is being tinkered with. I think the problem is due to other
> > programs claiming the desktop's window. Ok, so that's not a great
> > explanation but you can find more discussions in the list's archives.
>
> > For a simple fix, try using the Rox filer's pinboard feature. It will
> > perform the functions you ask.
>
> You want icons on desktop for minimized programs, or icons as launcher
> for something? As far as I remebmer, XFCE3 didn't have icons for
> launch something on desktop. Only thing that XFCE3 had was a ability
> to minimize running apps on desktop. This functionality is still
> there, you can choose if you like taskbar or icons - just look at the
> settings panel - I'm not at my XFCE box at the moment...
>
> So - ROX is an irrelevant answer for original question. :-)

Actually, it's not; ROX _can_ and does show minimized windows on its
pinboard, if so configured. There's an option for it in the ROX Options
dialog; it's been there for many months now. Clicking on an icon
minimized in this way also takes you back to the workspace on which that
application was originally minimized.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/