[REQUEST] Minimize Windows into Desktop Icons

Marek Turnovec mat.konference at medik.cz
Sun Feb 1 16:10:08 CET 2004

>> I'm sure people have requested this before, but I wanted to let my
>> desire be known.  Xfce3 (and CDE) allow me to minimize windows
>> into desktop icons that can be dragged around and arranged by the
>> user.  This was a really nice feature.  I recently did an email
>> survey within my company and found that about 70% of the engineers
>> here prefer desktop icons vs. using a taskbar.
>>
>> Currently, there are a lot of companies moving from the Solaris/CDE
>> world into Linux because of the low cost and high CPU performance.
>> Please take these users into account (they are a large group).
>> Is this a feature that the designers would consider re-introducing
>> into Xfce 4 (or 5)?

> IIRC, this is being tinkered with. I think the problem is due to other
> programs claiming the desktop's window. Ok, so that's not a great
> explanation but you can find more discussions in the list's archives.

> For a simple fix, try using the Rox filer's pinboard feature. It will
> perform the functions you ask.

You want icons on desktop for minimized programs, or icons as launcher
for something? As far as I remebmer, XFCE3 didn't have icons for
launch something on desktop. Only thing that XFCE3 had was a ability
to minimize running apps on desktop. This functionality is still
there, you can choose if you like taskbar or icons - just look at the
settings panel - I'm not at my XFCE box at the moment...

So - ROX is an irrelevant answer for original question. :-)

There was a discussion, if a default behaviour of XFCE should be with
taskbar or with icons - you can look in archive...

Marek Turnovec

--
E-mail: mat at medik.cz    Telefon: 776 714 284
WWW: www.medik.cz  Jabber: mat at njs.netlab.cz