URGENT: Help needed for preparing Fosdem

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Dec 23 08:59:59 CET 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 08:12:25AM +0100, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 07:57 +0100, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > I can't seem to be able to read that PDF :/
>
> Odd, both gpdf and acroread read it here...

Ok, I've just read it at work.

> > I understand it may be too late, but what exactly does this mean? Do we
> > have to prepare some presentations about the internals of Xfce?
>
> It's not too late, we have up to tonite.
>
> What is needed for now is a plan of what we would discuss/present so
> that the Fosdem guys can advertize it.

Hmm, it's not entirely clear to me how this devroom is supposed to work. On
one hand it seems to be meant for public attendance and require some
presentations, while on the other hand it's meant to do collective coding
sessions, which doesn't seem very suited for larger audiences.

Anyway, it would be nice if we could discuss some larger design issues for the
future versions of Xfce, like:

* new panel/taskbar design: plugins, expected features and behaviour,
  cross-desktop applets, etc.

  I could perhaps present some of my ideas on this. Then I'd bring my new
  panel widget code, and we could try and hack a bit on implementing some
  plugin ideas.

* configuration: mcs overview, shortcomings/desired new features, d-bus

  Perhaps Benedikt (you will be going, won't you?) could say something about
  his ideas about a d-bus based config system.

* interoperability, fdo standards, effects gtk/gnome development on Xfce

  Do the fdo standards live up to their interoperability promiss, what is
  missing; how do we benfit from developments in the larger gtk/gnome
  community, should we use more/less gnome technologies (gconf, gnome-vfs,
  libglade, ...)

  Maybe for olivier? Brian (if he can come)? Or a general brainstorm session.

Other ideas?

I'm sure we could fill a morning talking about these things ;-)

	Jasper