Feature request

edscott edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Aug 28 04:02:13 CEST 2004

El vie, 27-08-2004 a las 19:11, ShadowRage escribió:
> Besides the obvious request to speed up xffm, I'd like to see an option where when you click an unmounted volume to access it, it'll try to mount it, if not permitted, bring up an error saying you do not have proper permissions to access this volume, check your mount permissions or check with your local sysadmin.

About xffm 4.1: if you double click an unmounted volume  from the fstab
branch, it will try to mount it. If permissions do not allow you to do
so, you will get the same error message that the mount command would
give you. Also, if you use the mcs-manager you can tell xffm to use sudo
to mount/unmount the volume. If a password is needed, xffm will query
you for it. Again, if anything goes wrong you will be told so in the
diagnostics box. I'm afraid the message produced by the mount command
will not be expanded any further, especially since there is a
translation freeze.

Also, if you navigate with the normal local files branch, you will
notice a red dot on folders which are mountable according to fstab and a
green dot on folders that are unmountable. On these folders you can use
the popup menu to mount/unmount. Same behaviour as with the fstab
branch.

You can also mount/unmount remote smbfs (if your kernel is enabled to do
so) by double clicking on a remote smb share (or hitting return). The
temporary mount point created can be unmounted with the popup menu (it
will have a green dot).

Ten minutes to open a directory? Something must be broken. I just timed
xffm by opening a remote nfs mounted directory with 8246 entries, and it
took exactly 16 seconds. With Nautilus the same directory took 1 minute
and 25 seconds to open (both using the Rodent theme). So unless you
provide more information on how to reproduce the situation where xffm
takes more than one minute to open a large directory, there is not much
we can do to fix it.

regards,

Edscott