Xfce Live Demo and Xfce Debian Packages

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 25 05:43:37 CEST 2004

040824 Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> ShadowRage wrote:
>> why not use xorg? it has more up to date features
> XFree86 is a mature X implementation
> that supports a wide range of devices and has been widely tested
> and can therefore be considered kinda 'stable', whereas I heard rumors
> the upcoming release of Xorg has a lot stability and performance issues
> _because_ of this (useless) 'up to date' features.

not only that, the current version in Gentoo ( 6.7.0-r1 ) left me
with a bunch of very ugly fonts, which i cdn't cure however i tried.
no-one on Gentoo User replied to my detailed account
& my impression is that Xorg has not been properly tested
& is being promoted largely for reasons of PC.
it wb good to have a variety of X's, but new ones need time to be usable.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca