Xfce Live Demo and Xfce Debian Packages

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Aug 24 19:09:18 CEST 2004

ShadowRage wrote:
> Doesnt XFree86 bring of licensing issues?

Its XFree86 3.x and 4.3, so no licensing issues involved here.

> and why not use xorg? it has more up to date features, whilst
 > xfree86 is still technologically stuck back somewhere around 1998 or 1999

This assumption is simply wrong (as Brian already mentioned in his
answer) and besides that, even if one consideres XFree86 'old', its a
mature X implementation that supports a wide range of devices and has
been widely tested, and can therefore be considered kinda 'stable',
whereas I heard rumors that the upcoming release of Xorg has a lot
stability and performance issues _because_ of this (useless) 'up to
date' features.

Benedikt