[Xfce4-commits] CVS: xfce4/xffm/doc Makefile.in,1.29,1.30

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Tue Aug 24 21:33:26 CEST 2004

edscott wrote:
> Thanks for the correction. I will fix the mistake. I'm always getting
> confused with the english/american spelling, you know, nite/night,
> color/colour, and I guess hicolor/highcolor.
>
> regards,
>
> Edscott

I can't really tell if you are being sarcastic here or not (sarcasm in
this case is perfectly appropriate, I get irritated with all the
intentional misspellings, too).  If you are not, then as Brian pointed
out, "hicolor" is not a correct spelling, just an abbreviated misspelling.
Also, "nite" is not a correct spelling either.  There are lots of words
misspelled in the USA, typically by marketers who want to be able to
trademark their product names.  For example, "Nighttime Cold Medicine"
is not really a trademarkable name, but "Nitetime Cold Medicine" is.
Likewise, there is (or at least was) a company that makes fish finders
called "Humminbird", because "Hummingbird" is not trademarkable.  And
there is always "Lite Beer".  You get the idea.

Beyond all that, there is typical programmer laziness; it takes less
time to type "hi" than "high", etc.

You were correct with color/colour.  There are a number of others, like
honor/honour, and more that I can't think of right now.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA