Rodent icons

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sun Aug 22 18:28:44 CEST 2004

El dom, 22-08-2004 a las 10:24, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:

> Why have a different fallback theme if we prefer Rodent?

Size and speed. This is applicable to applications that use mime-icons,
which can be a very large set. Icons-on-the-desktop (someday...) will
probably rely on mimetype/icon associations. The Rodent theme is big.
I'm not too keen on creating a reduced set from Rodent and copying it. A
different fallback theme indicates to the user at a glance that the
default Xfce icons are not installed, without creating a dependency on
the icons-package. This enables the user to use a smaller and faster
icon set if that is her desire.

> It may be different for mime icons and others that can be used by more
> than one program, but for the panel it simply means that the rodent
> theme does not need to contain the panel icons, because they are already
> installed.

But they will be installed at the highcolor theme, not Rodent theme.
This is a minor detail, since they can be duplicated at the Rodent theme
and panel icons are few and far between.

> I really wouldn't want us to depend on yet another package. On the other
> hand I wouldn't know where to fit the icon theme in our current
> packages, so it may be alright.

No dependency here. No extra package. Just renaming and rearranging
xffm-icons to become xfce4-icon-theme. If we want a dependency on the
icons (to make sure all applications will use them) the easiest way is
to include them in libxfcegui4, but that suggestion does not seem too
popular, not even with me ;)

I would probably be against making xfce4-icon-theme a dependency (does
any package depend on xffm-icons?, of course not, not even xffm). The
icon-theme dependency seems to work for other DEs, like gnome, kde, rox.
But that does not make it a good idea. Just an idea.

So I take it that you are not against the replacement of xffm-icons for
xfce4-icon-theme with no changes to other packages or current
dependencies?

regards,

Edscott