xfwm4 kbd shortcut editor feature request

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Sun Aug 8 07:40:23 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Randy Chung wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's what I'm saying.
>>
>> It would be awfully confusing if the key bindings were constantly
>> changing, wouldn't it :)  It was more of a thought to chew on than
>> anything; the way things are now is working fine, so there's no real
>> pressing need to change it.

Consider what will happen in two situations: the user has never changed
any key bindings, and the user has changed a few of the key bindings.
What should happen in these cases when the user upgrades Xfce to a newer
version that has different default keybindings?

I kind of like the suggestion that unchanged key bindings will follow
the new default, which is the same behavior as if the user had not
made any key binding changes.  If the user has managed to figure out
how to change some key bindings, they can figure out how to change
any that are now different from what they expect.

But the main thing this whole discussion points out is that changing
default bindings from release to release should only happen if there
is a really good justification.

> or perhaps something simpler - when you edit the keybindings for the
> first time, it copies _all_ values to the "user modified" portion,
> regardless if you edited every option or not.  then, if new keybindings
> are added later, you still stick with the one's you're used to, but the
> new features get pulled in from the new defaults file.

I personally don't like this behavior as a general rule.  Back in the
old days when I was using Gnome (before I was enlightened by Xfce :^),
I dreaded upgrading to a newer version, because I was always concerned
that stuff in my config files would override some interesting new
capability and I would never know it.  (I feel the same way about
upgrading [X]emacs, but that is really something for a different
mailing list.)

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA