Peculiar configure behavior

edscott edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Aug 6 15:25:14 CEST 2004

El vie, 06-08-2004 a las 03:24, Randy Chung escribió:
> Reading this email a bit more carefully, I noticed you mention
> libxfcegui being semi-broken; but actually, on my system, it links
> against the proper version without any problems.  The problem isn't with
> libxfcegui, but with the other packages.

Not with libxfcegui4, but with xfce4-modules which is in the
libxfcegui4, but do not get added to the library. The modules just float
by themselves and are loaded/unloaded as gmodules. Both xfrun4 and xffm
use the gmodules which in turn use libxfce4util.  Since the modules are
not linked statically, you cannot tell them to link up with a specific
version of libxfce4util (or any other library). When you load one of the
gmodules the libraries it relies on are loaded via the /etc/ld.conf
path.

Before loading the module, neither xffm nor xfrun4 have required use of
libxfce4util, therefore it is not loaded. The first call for
libxfce4util lies in the module, but link information does not exist
here, being just an object file.

That's my current theory. If I am right, the only solution is to install
a new version of libxfce4util. If I am wrong, I will be glad to see how
to make the modules work with a library not in the /etc/ld.conf path.

As to xfcalendar, the reason is probably different.

regards,

Edscott