CVS compilation tool

Tue Aug 3 06:53:19 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 23:25, Randy Chung wrote:
> What I did in my Makefile to avoid having to compile the whole thing as
> root is split the modules into two sets.  The first set has four
> packages, the three libs + mcs-manager, and the second set is everything
> else (with xfce4-panel coming first, as you have).  This way you can
> just build the first four as root, the rest as joe user.  It isn't too
> hard to implement, just a lot of copy and pasting the original :)
>
> It doesn't seem like too big of a deal, but I thought I'd just point
> that out.
>
> On another note, the PKG_CONFIG_PATH looks kind of broken to me.  If I
> have 4.0.6 installed in /usr/local/, then the pc's from 4.0.6 are going
> to be found first and the configure script will scream and yell at you
> for not having the right version.  What should work is if
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH is instead set so that the pc's of the CVS version are
> put in before the other paths, i.e. instead of:
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:(target dir)
>
> try:
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=(target dir):$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>
> This way the new CVS pc's get found first, and life is happy.

Randy,

Thanks for your comments. Just for confirmation on your second point,
you are suggesting that I use:

# SET REQUIRED PKG_CONFIG DIRECTORIES
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:${cvs_dir}/xfce4-panel/panel
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:${cvs_dir}/libxfcegui4/libxfcegui4
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:${cvs_dir}/libxfce4util/libxfce4util
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:${cvs_dir}/libxfce4mcs/libxfce4mcs
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:${cvs_dir}/xfce-mcs-manager/xfce-mcs-manager
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:${cvs_dir}/xffm/src
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:${cvs_dir}/xfce4-session/xfce4-session
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

where the /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig line is the last, rather than the
first?

In my case, I do not have 4.0.6 installed. I removed all xfce related
RPMS before installing the cvs version. The first time around, I built
xfce4 cvs under GNOME.

That being said, the above sequence makes sense, presuming that there
may be a change in the cvs pc files, which seems a reasonable
possibility.

Thanks.

Marc