CVS compilation tool

Anton Markov anton at truxtar.com
Mon Aug 2 19:49:34 CEST 2004

Here is a really quick shell trick for compiling all XFCE modules that
are collected in one directory (you could also symlink the ones you want
to compile into one directory). It'll ignore anything that doesn't look
like a source folder.

#!/bin/sh
BASEDIR=`pwd`;
for i in *; do
if test -d $i; then
if test -x $i/configure; then
cd $i && ./configure && make && cd $BASEDIR;
fi;
fi;
done

You can just copy/paste and execute it right from a shell (minus the
"#!..." line). Later you can execute the following as root to install
(optional):

#!/bin/sh
BASEDIR=`pwd`;
for i in *; do
if test -d $i; then
if test -x $i/configure; then
cd $i && make install && cd $BASEDIR;
fi;
fi;
done

I don't think XFCE really needs a special tool for compiling the CVS.
Ordinary users use the releases (maybe have a tool to help compile
those), or binaries for their distribution. I would rather see the time
put into other features. I don't think many people who use CVS mind
entering a few lines of shell scripts.