[Xfce4-commits] CVS: xfce4/xfwm4-themes/themes/gorilla Makefile.am, 1.3, 1.4 Makefile.in, 1.7, 1.8

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Apr 26 19:34:51 CEST 2004

Olivier FOURDAN wrote:
> Yeah, it's what I'm planning once I have some free time, but in the meantime,
 > I quickily checked and indeed, pax is available on most Unix platforms
(Solaris,
 > Aix, HPUX,...), and even older ones....

Yeah, thats the nice thing about pax, its available anywhere and theres
(atleast to some degree) only one pax, unlike the various tar flavours. Most
pax implementations also offer "pax-as-tar" and "pax-as-cpio" modes where the
pax binary acts like "tar" or "cpio", which is very nice, since you need only
one archiver for all formats.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against tar. A dependency on GNU tar should be ok
as well. My only complaint was that Olivier assumed that "tar" is GNU tar.
Nevertheless, I'd vote for pax since it obsoletes the old Unix archivers and
its available on every Unix system in a standard form, not GNU pax, HP pax,
Solaris pax, whatever...

> The fact that recent Linux distro
 > don't include it doesn't prove anything (except that these distro aren't
 > totally POSIX compliant :) ).

I recently realised that pax was missing from Gentoo when I wanted to backup
some stuff, but it took me about 2 minutes to install pax from source on the
system. So, it should be no problem. From what I heared is that the major
Linux distros already ship pax. I think the other distros will follow sooner
or later, and maybe some day the tar nightmare will come to an end :-)

And just in case too many users complain about missing pax, we could still use
install.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

regards,