Xfce 4.2 scope [WAS Re: dev FAQ?]

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sun Apr 18 22:09:04 CEST 2004

Brian,

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 04:02, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> the thing is, if the dev cycle was shorter (or if we were to do some
> semi-often preview releases), it wouldn't be such a big deal.  i could
> have a functioning "release grade" xfdesktop with desktop icons as, say,
> a 4.3 release a couple months after 4.2 is released - OR, even _before_
> 4.2 is released, but after 4.1 is frozen (yeah, that's really
> confusing).  if desktop icons have to wait until 4.4, that's going to be
> what, another year?

Yes, we were all for making shorter releases. But the fact is that HEAD
is really not stable at all, and there are some major bugs.

So ok to release more often, but release what? I'm not in favour of
release too buggy code. If it's too buggy, it's safer to keep it in CVS
as only the more adventurous will use it.

 - Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org - http://www.xfce.org -