Xfce 4.2 scope [WAS Re: dev FAQ?]

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 18 04:02:08 CEST 2004

Olivier Fourdan wrote:

>Hey Brian,
>
>On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 18:20, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>

>>i suppose the real answer to this is another question - how long do you
>>want it to be before we feature-freeze for 4.2? ^_~
>>

>Well, I think we should stop implementing new things now and concentrate
>on getting things ready for 4.2.

oy.  well, if that's the case, xfdesktop 4.2 isn't going to have desktop
icons, which will probably make a lot of people unhappy.  personally, i
don't mind, but...

the thing is, if the dev cycle was shorter (or if we were to do some
semi-often preview releases), it wouldn't be such a big deal.  i could
have a functioning "release grade" xfdesktop with desktop icons as, say,
a 4.3 release a couple months after 4.2 is released - OR, even _before_
4.2 is released, but after 4.1 is frozen (yeah, that's really
confusing).  if desktop icons have to wait until 4.4, that's going to be
what, another year?

    -brian