xfce-4.0.5 released

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 15 23:33:38 CEST 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, LiNuCe wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     Probably a "dumb" question for you, XFCE developers, but I have read
> here and there that GTK+ 2.4.0 is 100% compatible with GTK+ 2.2.x : what
> was the problem about GTK+ 2.4.x compatibility fixes mentionned in the
> ChangeLog ? Thanks for your(s) answser(s) which will enlight my curiosity :)

when the gtk folks say "compatible", they really mean that it's binary
and source compatible, i.e., that you can drop the new library in over
top of the old and apps linked with the old will continue to run.  same
deal with compiling - apps that compiled against gtk 2.2 should compile
against gtk 2.4 with no changes.

however, there were apparently some changes in the _behaviour_ of the
toolkit.  for example, some users reported that after upgrading to gtk
2.4, xftaskbar was actually listed in the task list (as "Task List",
amusingly enough).  i don't have a full list in my head, but i believe
most of the changes were minor (yet annoying) things like this.  olivier
has better specifics, i'm sure.

	-brian