panel icon resizing

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 5 23:13:21 CEST 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Brian,
>
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 22:32, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > i'm thinking that it's not all that hard, and might even be something
> > for 4.2.  what do you think, jasper?  i wouldn't mind looking into this
> > at some point in the future, if you don't have time.
>
> Keep in mind there aren't just "icons" on the panel, but also plugins. I
> really don't see your point in this icon size stuff, don't we have more
> important things to break^W fix, implement or even improve?

that's a good point - some plugins might need some individual attention
for this sort of thing to work, and that alone might make it more
trouble than it's worth.

my point with the icon sizing is that i think it looks really bad if you
have 5 launchers in a row, some with differently-sized icons.  in an
ideal world, all app authors would provide a 128x128 pixel icon (or,
better yet, an SVG icon), and we could scale it to our heart's content
with no ill effects.  of course that isn't the case, and if the
consensus is that having mismatched sizes is better than poor scaling,
i'll revert it to the old behavior.  so...?

> I know you're again "status quo", but there is really nothing wrong with
> keeping things like they are as long they work as expected. And I'm not
> yet convinced that the panel needs that "improvement".

just for the record - i have nothing wrong with the status quo as long
as there's a reason for it, or if the cost to change it far outweighs
future possible benefits.  in fact, much of the work i've done with
xfdesktop ensures that the user can maintain their status quo (no icons,
static menu) if they so desire.  when i last used the 'status quo'
argument, i believed in that case that the status quo wasn't founded on
a good reason.

	-brian