icon theme reorg plan

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 2 08:26:19 CEST 2004

edscott wilson garcia wrote:

>Adhering to a standard is very good, but is it the best choice? I ask
>this because the standard in my country is ---by long and far--- decided
>upon at Redmond, Wa.. I do not think that that standard is the best
>choice, so I do not follow it.

agreed - just because something is a standard doesn't make it a good
standard.  personally, i happen to think that the freedesktop icon theme
spec is a good standard.  it seems rather flexible and powerful, and, as
a bonus, there's already an implementation of it (GtkIconTheme).

>We must consider that members of the development team have jobs,
>obligations, and not too much spare time. I'd rather dedicate time to
>making xfce code faster, smaller and more efficient than getting stars
>on my forehead for adhering to such and such norm ---which is bound to
>change eventually.

understood.  i suppose i was being a bit overzealous in my wording such
that the plan sounds like an all-or-nothing policy.  personally, i'm
willing to get xfdesktop up to speed on this.  i'm familiar enough with
xfce4-panel to make the required modifications there also (under the
assumption that jasper may be too busy with real life stuff to want to
take this on).  also, faster, smaller, and more efficient are indeed
important - and are the main things xfce stands for - but that's not
everything.  usability and integration are also important, and having
DE-wide consistent icon theming is an important integration issue, IMO
(and a nifty feature).

>That said ---and I hope you're still with me---, I do think it very
>important to get this icon business uniform for xfce. But maybe ---off
>the top of my head--- we can think of an improved xfce-standard which
>supersedes the freedesktop standard. Otherwise, if we are not
>contributing anything new to the progress of open software, could our
>time be better spent?

well, that's a matter of opinion i suppose.  benny and i think that this
is a worthwhile thing to do.  if you don't, no one's forcing you to make
xffm follow our theming system; if you really aren't interested, there's
nothing stopping you from continuing to use xffm's private icon theme
settings.  that would be unfortunate, however, as i feel this detracts
from xfce's overall look and appearance.  as usual in the OSS world,
it's mainly about what interests you and what you want to put time into
doing, and i think that's great.

as for coming up with a new standard...  that's really not my
department.  i think i'm fairly good at designing software systems, but
i don't really have any experience developing standards, and that's not
something i'm at all interested in doing (esp. with the talented folks
over at freedesktop churning them out).  if you, or benny, or jasper, or
olivier, or anyone else were interested in developing a new standard
that xfce could use, i'd certainly be interested in hearing about it and
probably implementing it if i like it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

at any rate, thank you for your thoughts.  i wholeheartedly agree that
these changes do represent a significant investment of time, but i
believe that the benefits make it worthwhile (as you might have guessed
^_~).

    -brian