A Hotkey Program?

Sanford Armstrong sanfordarmstrong at email.com
Tue Sep 30 14:37:01 CEST 2003

Biju Chacko wrote:

>Currently we recommend a third-party program called xbindkeys. A native app
>
>would be good.

Well, I will definitely take a look at that for inspiration.  I already
started browsing a little through the fluxbox source, so hopefully I'll
be able to figure out exactly how this would work.

>First, XFce4 is written in C not C++. A C++ app would have radically different
>dependencies from the rest of the apps. So I'd suggest that that you use C. It's
>simpler (IMO) than C++ so it shouldn't be a problem.

Well, I have K&R sitting on my bookshelf in case there's any C-specific
syntax I need to brush up on.  One more thing to make the project new
and challenging.

>I'd suggest
>
>a) look at how existing implementations work. Look at the source of xbindkeys or
>Fluxbox's hotkey manager.

Yeah.

>b) be ready to throw away yur first implementation. It's usually after you've
>written it once when you realize how it *ought* to be done. If you're reluctant
>to throw away your first (and second, and third if necessary) implementation
>it'll be difficult to apply what you've learnt.

That's good advice, always.  Thanks for the tips!

-Sanford Armstrong