A Hotkey Program?

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Tue Sep 30 07:50:24 CEST 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:39:11 -0700, Sanford Armstrong wrote:

> I'm new to the list, but I've been using XFCE 4 for a couple of months,
> and was interested in writing something for it.  One of the things
> Fluxbox does so well is handle programmable hotkeys, keyboard shortcuts
> that let you execute any arbitrary command based on a config file.  Does
> something like this already exist in XFCE?  I was thinking that if not,
> I would love to make it exist.

Currently we recommend a third-party program called xbindkeys. A native app
would be good.

> I am a novice C++ programmer (~1 yr), and have never had a project
> outside of school.  Does anybody have any advice, or suggestions for
> starting a project like this?

First, XFce4 is written in C not C++. A C++ app would have radically different
dependencies from the rest of the apps. So I'd suggest that that you use C. It's
simpler (IMO) than C++ so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd suggest

a) look at how existing implementations work. Look at the source of xbindkeys or
Fluxbox's hotkey manager.

b) be ready to throw away yur first implementation. It's usually after you've
written it once when you realize how it *ought* to be done. If you're reluctant
to throw away your first (and second, and third if necessary) implementation
it'll be difficult to apply what you've learnt.

HTH,

-- b