xrandr moves panel away from screen border

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu Sep 18 21:55:39 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 11:43, Achim Linder wrote:
> The panel doesn't have to be xrandr compatible, all it has to do is stay
> where it is - that's what it _does_ when it is on top, and this should
> not depend on the layer. An average user who changes the panel layer
> expects that the panel can be covered by other windows. He doesn't
> expect that the panel is treated like a normal window in every respect,
> eg that it becomes decorated or non-sticky or that it occurs in the
> window list or a pager. And he does not expect that he has to move it
> back to the screen border by hand each time the screen size was changed
> (eg by xawtv).

Here we go... XawTV.

Yes, the panel has to be moved like any other window because otherwise,
it would not be accessible when the resolution changes. That's what the
window manager is for, manage windows. The panel is just a regular app
mapping a regular window.

As for XawTV, I still think that using XrandR to adjust screen size for
fullscreen playback is not a good idea. There are other techniques for
this (and XawTV was using it before). To my eyes, XrandR should be used
under the control of the user only.

> be another way to exclude it from the "is moved when using xrandr"-list.
> Any hint how to do this?

No.

Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org