xrandr support / xffm: cursor keys

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Sep 13 11:27:01 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 10:50, Jeroen Valkonet wrote:
> Two things:
>
> - when i select another screensize for X-Window (e.g. using xrandr -s 2
> or ALT-numpad + / ALT-numpad -), xfce4 doesn't seem to notice. When i
> maximize a window afterwards it's maximized agains the previous
> screensize. The panel also isn't recentered. Gnome (recent versions
> anyway) handles this correctly, i.e. shrink windows/panel where needed
> etc..

Alt-KP+ and Alt-KP- and xrandr are totally different things.

Alt-KP+ and Alt-KP- change the output resolution, but definitely not the
screen size. Apps don't get notified of this, and there is absolutely no
way for an app to tell that the user switched resolution that way. See
this as a "zoom" in XFree86. No window manager will ever handle that
(neither "metacity" -gnome- nor any other)

That's why XFree86 added xrandr, which really changes screen resolution
and implements a way for apps to be notified. xfwm4 supports it and it
works. If it doesn't work for you, then something is wrong on your
system (maybe the configure script didn't detect it at compile time)

> - the treecontrol in xffm accepts navigating using the cursor keys which
> is great. But to close the current folder i have to move up all the way
> to the directoryname and only then can it be closed (using the LEFT
> key). If i know i want to close it anyway why not let the LEFT key close
> it right away from any of the files (ofcourse including the currently
> selected file) ?

This is more of a feature request than a bug report. I am against any
new feature that would be added now, ie during RC cycle.

Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org