suse rpms on RC4

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Thu Sep 11 23:29:22 CEST 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 15:22, Ilkka Ollakka wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 15:06:09 -0500, Scott Jones wrote:
> > Good news.  The meta-package works, no problems.
>
> great :)
>
> > Would xfdesktop be considered a core part of xfce4?  (I had to
> > install it separately.)
>
> Yes it's part of xfce4's release,and xfce4 meta package requires
> xfdesktop, it doesn't require specific version of it,but apt-get
> upgrade should upgrade your xfdesktop. so you had xfdesktop allready
> installed, you only had to upgrade it

I see.  I noticed the same for xffm after I sent the previous message.
Oh, well. (See below about apt-get upgrade).

> > What do you think about doing a meta-pkg of the extras (-toys,
> > -themes, panel plugins, etc.), and maybe another for the -devel
> > packages?  It's not a big deal to me, but might make it a little
> > easier for new users to install those bits, as well as making for
> > cleaner upgrades.
>
> upgrades should happen on apt-get upgrade automaticly, I made that

As I said, no big problem.  I never do an apt-get upgrade, preferring to
upgrade individual packages instead because of the occasional problems
that come with upgrading some packages blindly (kde/qt especially comes
to mind), but maybe that's just me.

> meta rpm so it would be easy to install xfce4 release. maybe you're
> right and I should add mode version requirements in there, but I
> don't see what use would be separate extra meta package on rpm's that
> comes on release.

Perhaps you're right.  I was mostly thinking of changes in the panel
that might require newer builds of the panel plugins.  In those cases,
a version requirement might be the way to go.

--
Scott Jones
(scott at exti dot net)