Contributing to Xfce

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Wed Sep 10 03:18:16 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 09:01, Ariel Arjona wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Recently I found out about the Xfce project and installed RC3. So far I
> like it a lot, and it's my default desktop at the moment. Great job guys.
>
> I was wondering what programming knowledge one must posess to make
> useful contributions to the project. My C programming programming
> knowledge is very basic at the moment (all console programs in DOS, for
> school projects), but I do programming for web environments, so I am
> looking for the docs, tutorials, howto's, etc to get up to speed.
>
> Any pointers to good resources and learning materials are greatly
> appreciated.

Probably the best is to start with a panel plugin. Choose something you
want for the panel but is missing, check out the code for other plugins
from xfce-goodies at http://berlios.de, study the code and modify it
until it does what you want it to do. You will need the gtk and glib api
reference to understand what is going on.

regards,

Edscott