XFCE on FreeBSD

Dinesh Nadarajah dinesh_list at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 16 16:21:03 CEST 2003

I am not sure what it is any more. Here is a test  did with 'strace' on
xffm:

strace -o trace.txt xffm

then I quit xffm and searched for all locale calls and this is what I
got:

bash-2.05b# more trace.txt | grep LC_MESS
open("/usr/X11R6/share/locale/ta_IN.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/X11R6/share/locale/ta_IN.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/X11R6/share/locale/ta_IN/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/X11R6/share/locale/ta.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo", O_RDONLY)
= -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/X11R6/share/locale/ta.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo", O_RDONLY)
= -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/X11R6/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo", O_RDONLY) = 5

GTK seems to be making all the calls where is xffm (and other XFCE
modules as well) are not making the call. There is no entry for xffm.mo
request.

So how does XFCE4 request for internationalized messages? I am not sure
what to make of it. Since GTK2 calls work, I have ruled out FreeBSD or
GTK2 libraries or the installtion and configuration of my machine -
although I wcould still be igonoring something. But then there are two
of us with this problem.

Only Linux seems to be working right now. Has anyone experienced
something like this on Sparc/Solaris or some other OS other than Linux?

Thanks.

-Dinesh